Fried Zucchini flowers, fritters.
12 zucchini (or squash) flower heads, washed, dried.
vegetable oil for frying.
150 g (5,3 oz) wheat flour
pinch ground ginger
300 ml (1,5 cups) water
1 separated egg, yolk
1 egg white
1. Carefully prepare the flowers, remove the stems and long pistils within the petals.
2. Sieve the flour, make a well in the centre, add all the remained ingredients, except the egg white and only half of the water. Beat really well to make a smooth, but thick batter, add more water if necessary.
3. Whisk the egg white until stiff and gently fold into the mixture.
4. Pour the oil in to frying pan, the depth of 5 - 7 cm. Heat.
5. Dip each flower into the batter until well coated. Fry gently in the preheated pan until golden brown on the underside, about 1-2 minutes. Turn over and cook on the other side. Drain fritters well on absorbent paper. Serve delicious zucchini flowers immediately with ketchup or home made tomato sauce.
It could be served with finely chopped garlic cloves on top every piece.
6 - 7 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp of olive oil
I onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1 tsp of fresh basil, shredded
1 tsp of fresh dill, shredded
1 tsp of fresh parsley, shredded
pinch of cinnamon
Put tomatoes into a food processor bowl, blend. Add the other ingredients and blend well again. Very gently fry the mixture until the onion is cooked through, keep stirring. Serve with the flower fritters.