- It is supposed to have been built by the Novgorodian stonemasons in 1140. In the 13th century, the suburban nunnery was established there. It was a burial place of twelve Pskovian princesses. Among them the Eupraksiya (the Princess Efrosinya, a daughter of Rogvolod), the founder of the nunnery, and the Reverend Marpha (the Princess Maria, a daughter of Dimitry), a spouse of the Prince
Dovmont - Timophey, who died in 1300 were also buried beneath this church.
The Pskovites used local construction material - limestone slabs - for the building of fortifications, fortified walls with towers, churches and monasteries, civilian houses, merchant 's chambers.
As a rule walls of all Pskovians churches are rough.
There are 40 churches in Pskov, That have been preserved to the present time. Numerous pretty little churches were built in the 14 th. and 15 th. centuries. The designs with their apses and drums are ornamented remind us very much of the fine Russian open work embroidery. At the end of the 16 th century and during the 17 th century, the inhabitants of Pskov began to build dwelling - houses of stone. Only a few such buildings, solid, squat, resembling fortresses with their thick walls and small windows still exist among them are the mansion of the merchant. Pogankin the mansion of Menshikov, and others.
History and architecture.
The construction of buildings out of stone was cut short, in Pskov, by the beginning of the northern wars, and was renewed only a century later, but with architectural forms typical of the 18 century. The ancient architectural monuments of Pskov have survived the winds, storms and frosts of centuries have served the ravages of wars and conflagrations, and thus have been preserved for us. Scientists are investigating them, while the artists and architects who are restoring them are doing their best to preserve these works of art for posterity.
Pskov Historical and Architectural Museum.
Most exhibitions of the museum are located in the best-known secular building of Pskov - the famous Pogankin house, called "chambers". In the 17th century the chambers belonged to one of the richest merchant families in Pskov - the Pogankins. The museum possesses the unique collections of the silverwork (14-19th century) and the icons of the Pskov icon-painting school (14-17th century). The archaeological division is of noteworthy interest, as well as the exhibition of the applied art (18-20th century) and the picture gallery. The collection of the museum includes about 500 000 items.